Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Art Bead Scene Studio May Challenge









Wow!  6 months have gone by since last post.  I guess I've used more Instagram for my jewelry posting lately.   If you want to check any of my stuff out, my Instagram site can be found at mccabe.denise.

I needed some new inspiration and found some with this month's Art Bead Scene Studio May challenge.  Of course, it's completely different from any art I would pick and out of my normal comfort zone for jewelry making - but that usually makes the best inspiration - the one that stretches my mind the most.  
The artwork is Botticelli's Primavera.  I'm glad the website added the link for the art people's interpretation of it.  Who would think that a piece of artwork about spring would be weighted with so much black in the background?  I had a hard time getting over that.  I usually think of Spring as colors piled on top of each other.
Another issue is that I don't have a lot of black beads except seed beads to work with.  How to add the weight of the artwork into a Spring-y jewelry design?
I pulled out a few orangey-red art beads that I thought looked similar to the cloth color that swathes Venus but the beads didn't work with much else.

Well, this is what I came up with....

The bracelets...
I took the soft blue from the sky and from Zephyr, the god of wind, and  used it for one bracelet by wrapping pale blue memory wire around a Vintaj bracelet blank and adding a lampwork focal bead with a dark navy blue swirl and some brass flowers to give it the Spring-y feel.  The lampwork focal bead was purchased at an Intergalactic Bead Show several years ago.


The second bracelet is braided wax linen with little peach seed beads as accents.  I think of them as the dots of flowers in the picture.  The clasp is by Melinda Orr.  There are 2 lampwork glass beads.  The small one, again, was purchased from the Intergalactic Bead Show.  The larger light amber one with polka dots is by Loupiac.



The necklace is a lariat with a antique brass color suede - very soft and easy to wear.  The brass pendant and washer loop were etched by me!   I made several etched pieces last year and have been planning to do something with them.....  The etched images have leaves that mimic the trees in the picture.  There are lampwork beads from 2 different artists separated by the tiniest sand opal Swavorski crystals.  The bottom satin metallic lampwork spacer is by Beadfairy.  The 3 stripey beads and the larger, clear and yellow/blue/black striated one were purchased at the Intergalactic Bead Show.
**I had purchased several beads from two lampwork glass artists who were exhibiting from the show - Thornburg Studio and from another woman, who for the life of me, I can't remember right now.  I came home and mixed the beads up, so not sure who made what anymore.

1 comment:

  1. That's why I love these challenges - they stretch your creativity immensely! I love how you picked details of the painting and introduced them in your jewelry! Love the choice of colors, too!

    ReplyDelete